Thursday 11 March 2010

Tradition Wins Out!

Easter is fast approaching and my mind is buzzing with wonderful delights to bake for the big event. Last year I bypassed the traditional Simnel cake and went for some amazing Easter Biscuits-
Wonderful buttery biscuits with added spice, lemon zest and currants. The recipe called for Cassia Oil which I never quite tracked down, so this year I will make it top of my wish list.. So I have heard, Easter biscuits are very symbolic, the crinkles around the edge representing the crown of thorns, the cassia oil is supposed to symbolise the oils used to annoint Christs head, and the currants represent the nails used to nail Him to the cross. If that isn't traditional enough, I don't know what is!

This year, I'm definately going to do both though - Biscuits and Simnel cake..
Simnel cake (as illustrated below - not my own unfortunately, thats to come in my next post!) will be just perfect for the relatives we have visiting. All of whom love fruit cake, and who could not be won over by the added marzipan inside and on top?



So off I go in a baking frenzy! I'll keep you posted how the celebrations go...

It goes without saying that Cakes-a-go-go is always here to help out with any celebrations you may be having. Please feel free to ask for any type of cake/biscuits you have in mind, we are very accomodating! You don't have to be quite so traditional for your own Easter - Chocolate cake would be just as good!

No comments:

Post a Comment